Re: Hosting issue

by "David Rapp" <david(at)rappd.freeserve.co.uk>

 Date:  Mon, 17 Apr 2000 10:36:53 +0100
 To:  "Steve burrill" <steve.burrill(at)celtic-web.co.uk>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Steve,

> I am based in the United Kingdom and have just figured out that my site is
> actually being hosted on a server in America somewhere.

Me too.

> The company hosting my site (UK based by the way) tell me nothing can be
> done, so I am not well pleased with them.

<SARCASM>Of course computers traditionally have a tough time with
Maths</SARCASM>

What...quite a bit can be done. In fact if you know the time difference, you
can change things very easily in the scripts.

> I realize that by default scripts will pick up the servers time

Not just the server time. But if it's been set up correctly another time
too.

> , but I wondered if anyone could think of  possible workrounds. ie. some
sort > of timezone statement that can be inserted into a script.

In perl you need to alter the date/time statements to reflect this. However
for GMT, surely they can just use the default statement of gmtime(TIME).
Even with a very basic knowledge of Perl correcting things like this is
pretty simple.

In fact to modify a time in perl all you need to do is call the function
assign it to a scalar then modify that scalar??? - It sounds tougher than it
is. I'd like to develop up a subroutine, but I'm lazy...If you really want
one though I'll create a subroutine for this...think I'm going to regret
that statement.