Re: Email question

by "Steven Antonio" <santonio(at)delanet.com>

 Date:  Mon, 17 Apr 2000 23:47:14 -0400
 To:  <Prh108(at)aol.com>
 Cc:  "hwg-basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Can any body advise on the following?
>
> My clients hotel site is able to use a number of e-mail addresses based on
hi
> domain name, e.g. bookings(at)hotel.com, enquiries(at)hotel.com, etc.
>
> Most use a single re-routing to reach him, as he uses AOL as his provider
> (the website is with another commericail source)
>
> What he wants to do is use the same e-mail address, e.g.
bookings(at)hotel.com
> for his replies rather than the aol address of joe(at)aol.com.
>
> There is access to some pop e-mail boxes.

Hi Peter,

I been through this already with AOL.  The last time I talked to them they
told me that you can not receive or send mail directly using a POP account
with another service.  His only chance is to see if the hosting service he
uses also has web based Email access in addition to the POP account he has
with them.  If not, he is SOL and will need to switch ISP's if this is
really important to him.  AOL uses proprietary "tunneling" technology that
keeps you from doing many things that you can do with most other providers.
AOL is great for parents and newbies to the Net, but very stifling for
anyone else that wants to do anything that is slightly more advanced.

If he decides to use another ISP- I have used Netscape Communicator, Eudora,
and Outlook Express, and out of the three, I've found Outlook Express
superior in handling multiple POP accounts and users. I am working with one
year old data, but at that time, Outlook Express was the only one (out of
those three) that could do what your client is looking for.

Steve Antonio
santonio(at)delanet.com