Re: opening wp files

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Fri, 4 May 2001 12:05:59 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jeff:

I suspect your assumption is correct. You are missing a filter.
However--I must qualify this by saying, ALL WordPerfect files are not alike.
A Windows 95 version of WordPad might not be able to "handle" the latest
version of WordPerfect for example.

But--To get "all" the filters available for Word, you must use the Custom
installation. The Normal or Standard install only puts the "most often
used"--what ever that means--filters on your hard drive. They do it on
purpose as all the extra filters causes a small amount of hard drive bloat.
(Again, "bloat is in the eye of the beholder.) Just insert the Word CD and
follow the directions for Custom installations. There is a LOT of extra
stuff.

I am surprised that your little Office Helper did not jump up and offer to
install the correct filter for you. Do you perhaps, have it turned off??

We left ours running--we use the little doggie--because we often have work
experience students in the office. Some find it annoying but we have come to
love all the time and head scratch saving help it has offered ....

As to WordPad. Have to admit, we have little actual experience with it as we
do have Word on all our machines. My daughter suggests that one try
selecting both Rich Text Format and All Documents. One or the other should
work. She also says that there are additional filters on the Windows-98 CD
that are available as a Custom install.

And though it does sound a little "far-out", one of my printer clients, says
he was told that "conversion filters" from MS Publisher can be copied into
the WordPad directory to extend it's functionality.

I've never tried this of course, but it does have a sort of logic to it.
After all, Microsoft does use a lot of common files in the Office products
these days--the dictionary and thesaurus being examples. Still--I always
though that WordPad used the "Windows directory" filters for such things.
I'm afraid this would be a little beyond me.

Usually, it is some VERY old Works file that gives us fits.

Best wishes
Ted
temer(at)c-zone.net