Re: tables/css/screen readers

by "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Tue, 16 Oct 2001 10:39:03 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
The DIV tag goes in the HTML file, and defines a block of the page, so to
speak.  The CSS style is assigned to the DIV, and
supplies the layout information regarding the positioning of the div.

So, the CSS decides the display...the DIV itself on enclosed what items are
to be affected.  Here's a simplified (and offhand, untested) illustration:

...in the web page...

<.div id='blah' class='page_header'>This text is affected<./div>

... now, we jump to stylesheet...

.page_header{
  position:absolute;
  top: 100px;
  left: 50px;
  font-size: 18px;
  font-weight: bold;
  background-color: #00FF00;
}

Please note that this allows you to perform pixel-perfect placement of your
page header element (and with a pretty green background!)  Also note that
you could overlap or place other elements on the page in ways that would
require complicated nested tables to imitate, assuming you could even manage
to imitate it.

Also note that you could totally change the way the DIV named blah is
delivered simply by using a different stylesheet.  Thus, if you wanted to
deliver blah to a different platform (WAP?), you could do so for every page
in your site with a simple server-based browser sniff.