Re: Table Space-Problem Fixed

by "Bert" <bdoorn(at)iprimus.com.au>

 Date:  Fri, 5 Apr 2002 08:54:41 +0800
 To:  "Stephanie Thrasher" <steph(at)omsoft.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'day

> Maybe I should have been more specific.  I meant in that particular table
> row on her site -- I don't understand what it's accomplishing there.

Disclaimer: My involvement in the site was limited to offering advice on how
to get rid of the extra space.  It was done by closing the gaps in the code
within the table cell - the most common reason for unexpected extra space in
table cells.  I did not set up the table structure.

If you are referring to the new source which has the image map data in a row
and cell of its own, I agree.  The map definition can go anywhere in the
body of the page, unless Sherry has a specific reason for putting it in the
extra row/cell (I am not a mind reader).  There are quite a few things on
the page that I would do differently, but Sherry did not ask for that and
I'm not in charge of the site.

Purists would argue that tables should not be used for layout at all.
That's fine if you're writing for one browser only, so you can set the site
up to match that browser's interpretation of the standard.  I have an
example of a page with valid CSS and XHTML, does not use ANY tables, frames
or JavaScript, yet has the appearance of a framed site (with one panel
scrolling independently).   Works nicely in IE6 (and probably 5 - I haven't
checked) but falls over badly in Netscape 4 and 6, Opera and most likely a
lot of other lesser known browsers.

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer