Re: ASP vs DHTML

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 4 Aug 1999 14:00:56 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Paul:

There are several differences between ASP and DHTML. In my
attempt to be brief and simple I hope I don't confuse you even
more. Hopefully, some of the others will expand on some of my
points.

ASP, Active Server Pages are pages that are acted on by the
SERVER in some fashion. An ASP page may contain many elements,
several scripts, often in VBScript, JavaScript or even Visual
Basic. The idea here is that in essence, the ASP page or pages
become an actual application. Part of the confusion is that the
server will "strip out" all of the scripting before it sends the
page to the browser as plain HTML. If you look at the source
code, all the "scripts" will be gone.

DHTML, Dynamic HTML is more like running a small J-Bot or
JavaScript embedded in the page itself. The source code will show
the script. Depending on who is doing the defining, many of the
new "dynamic" bells and whistles on some of the latest pages fall
within the realm of DHTML. Some would include Drop Down Lists,
CSS and SSI as being in the DHTML category.

Obviously, there is some overlap between the two and I have only
scratched the surface. Between 3W, Microsoft and Netscape, the
terminology can get a little confusing. (Of course it is always
very clear to those that worship just one of the three)

Best wishes and I'm sure others will amplify on the above.
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com