Re: Re: Mac system fonts?

by "Comharsa" <comharsa(at)clara.net>

 Date:  Sat, 1 Jan 2000 01:34:47 -0000
 To:  "'HWGBASICS'" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Re: CSS and fonts issues
>
> <snip>
> reference to the need to put a font in quotation
> marks within a CSS file
> </snip>
>
> quoted from O'Reilly, Web Design in a Nutshell, page 400:
> "Font names which contain character spaces must be enclosed in
> quotation marks (single or double)."
>
> So.... all fonts such as Comic Sans MS or Tempus Sans ITC must be
contained
> in quotes so the program knows it is a single entity.

<snip>

> kali

You beat me to it. I had found the same quote in the same book <g>. I also
found the following on the W3C site from the CSS1 specification:

"Font names containing whitespace should be quoted:

BODY { font-family: "new century schoolbook", serif }

<BODY STYLE="font-family: 'My own font', fantasy">

If quoting is omitted, any whitespace characters before and after the font
name are ignored and any sequence of whitespace characters inside the font
name is converted to a single space."

So it's official :-).

Have a good party, we've already got there in the UK.

Brian
comharsa(at)clara.net