Re: Browser Resolution

by "Bert Doorn" <bdoorn(at)iinet.net.au>

 Date:  Sat, 10 Jun 2000 22:40:27 +0800
 To:  <ErthWlkr(at)aol.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'day again

> The rule-of-web-thumb I've been given is that you have anywhere from 7 to 10
> seconds to download the page and grab the viewer's attention.  The typical
> user doesn't have much patience beyond that.

No argument there.

> BUT - if the viewer's "needs" are partially satisfied at the beginning of
the
>download, he/she will forgive the wait and stick around.

Up to a point, yes.

> As for myself, I sometimes click right through using the text versions of
the
> navigating buttons without waiting for the images to fully load.....  :-)

Ditto.  But when you come across sites which have placeholders for 100
pictures, none of which have ALT text, you tend to leave unless you REALLY
want to see what's on offer, right?  At least, that's what I do.

Visit the following sites with images turned off and draw your own
conclusions:
http://www.attachecatapult.com/  (can anyone top that one???)
http://www.myob.com/
http://www.ramset.com.au/
http://www.balwase-com.com/

Some that are marginally better (they at least offer "something"):
http://www.multiactive.com/
http://www.caroma.com.au/
http://www.awp.com.au/ (nothing to look at unless you scroll down)

There's thousands (perhaps millions) more like these - I just plucked these
out of my history file...

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer