RE: Search Engine Placement

by "Deb Campbell" <dmcampbell(at)astpcola.com>

 Date:  Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:23:57 -0600
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
After reading the FAQ page for Yahoo (see link below), all I can see is that
they are making nebulous promises while requiring concrete payment for what
is nebulously promised.

It seems to me the bottom line is that Yahoo! will happily take everyone's
$199, then maybe or maybe not give them a listing. If they deny a listing,
does the unfortunate applicant have to pay ANOTHER $199 for ANOTHER attempt
at receiving a listing? And if denied a second time, does this continue ad
infinitum?

And maybe I am exhibiting ignorance here (perhaps naivete??), but don't
search engines make money off of advertisers? How have they remained in
business this long without charging what I feel are exorbitant fees for
*possibly* providing a service?

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but if I don't ask, I will remain
stupid...;-)