Re: Downloading a graphic

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Fri, 28 Sep 2001 13:06:26 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Rob:

As long as you do not try to save any given image as a file type that is
different from the original you can save it where ever you wish and ZIP
should have nothing to do with it..

Example: If you see a graphic/image you like on someone's website--you can
right click on it and save it. The dialog box that pops up will show you the
filename and file type. (Actually you may first get a dialog screen asking
if you want to save it to your hard drive or open it from it's current
location.) Assume it is called mypicture.gif  You can choose WHERE on your
hard drive you want to save. Example: Save to C:\ My Documents\ My Pictures
. You browse to where you want to save it just as you would do with any
other file. You can even change the name of the file in the dialog box.
Example: Change mypicture.gif to geewhizbang.gif or what ever.

But--you can NOT change the .gif to .jpg or .tif etc. DURING THE DOWNLOAD.
You would have to save it as a GIF in the example above--or whatever file
type it happened to be.

Then--You can always open the downloaded file into Canvas, PhotoShop or
whatever graphics program you use and do a "Save As" to any file type the
graphics program is capable of producing.

ZIP should never enter into it unless your operating system is something
besides Windows. And even for most other OS's the procedure is very similar.
The only way that I can think of offhand for ZIP to get into the act is if
the ZIP program had been "associated" with that file type. (But this is a
different can of worms and worthy of a different discussion thread if
necessary.)

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA