Re: Two for one......

by "Thomas Rumley" <redo4you(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Sat, 30 Mar 2002 07:02:55 -0500
 To:  "HWG Basics List" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>,
"seecurb" <seecurb(at)bigfoot.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
That's definitely possible.

It's done all the time with sites that use catalogues and/or databases. One
method of doing this is using cgi. Your host needs to allow cgi for you to
use them. CGI (common gateway interface) are programs that are coded in a
variety of languages. They can be called exactly as you would a  web page
would and would  allow you to include content from different files into you
web page.

Another way to accomplish this is through SSI (server side includes). Like
cgi, you would need to make sure that your host allows you to use them. SSI
allows you to insert entire files into your current web page. What you can
do with SSI is more limited than CGI, but it is definitely easier to place
into the code of your site.

Lastly, you can do this witgh JavaScript. We've recently had a big thread
about the pluses and minuses of JavaScript so you'd have to devide if it is
a vible option for you. Using stand alone scripts might allow you to do what
you are wanting to accomplish.

Hope to have helped.

Tom Rumley