Re: 100% out of topic

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Sat, 11 Sep 1999 17:55:20 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Mac -- and others about HTML e-mail:

This is getting a little silly and the only reason I am replying
to it on the list is because the "caution--don't do this" was
sent to the list.

It is certainly not a heated debate. All the original question
asked was how to easily switch from HTML e-mail to plain text
using Outlet Express. This was a person who was obviously both
sending and receiving e-mail in both formats.

As both are very popular formats, used by millions of people, I
do not see the problem here. Nothing was ever said about flooding
the world with HTML type spam.

Had a question been asked and answered about a laser printer,
would you expect those still using dot matrix printers to
complain. Should I complain because one of the new ideas that may
soon catch on, will be the use of 3-D on web sites. Hey--Some of
us only have one eye and cannot "see" 3-D. Somehow, I don't think
that fact will slow the process to any significant degree.

Life goes on. My grandson uses a 486 with minimum RAM and a
"free" copy of Outlook Express and yes--he sends some of his
e-mail as HTML.

At our office, (and most of the people we work with), we get both
plain text and Rich Text, (HTML) mail. We almost always reply in
the same format we receive.

My main concern is that the alarms and cautions expressed here
might confuse a newbe into thinking there is something inherently
WRONG with HTML e-mail. There is nothing wrong or evil about
HTML.

Just because some either don't want to or can not use HTML e-mail
is no reason to suggest that business offices or others should
stop using it -- anymore than those who do not have fax machines
should complain because businesses, (and others), do use them.

Come on -- live and let live ...
As always, best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com
http://www.newsredding.com/

>I normally don't like to get invovled in the more heated debates
on this
>list, being content to ask my questions and get my advice. But
this one,
>I think, bears comment. . .
>
>Not everyone "clings to plain text" by choice -- there are a
large
>number of people out there who simply cannot afford the newest
computer
>and the best ISPs that money can buy.  They must rely on older
models
>bought second-hand (or given away as "junk") that are hooked up
>underfunded, overworked freenets or co-op networks.
>
>Most university students fall into this category, as do the vast
>majority of people making less than a middle-class income. And
let us
>not forget that the Internet is worldwide, and that there are
millions
>of users in other parts of the world where even the most basic
desktop
>is a luxury.
>
>It's already hard enough for these people to be on the
Internet -- why