Re: High Speed Homes

by "Mike Lessar" <rfd246(at)bigfoot.com>

 Date:  Thu, 3 May 2001 15:20:50 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Tamara,

I myself do not care for AOL, ( but thats another discussion and for another
forum)
however, my brother-in-law swears by it and recently he had to call me and
inform me that he has dsl with AOL, due to my local phone company (verizon's
(bell atlantic's))  inability to update thier phone lines in a timely
manner.

I am told I will definitly have dsl by 2015 although they tell me I could
have it as soon as 2005, and my local cable company was recently purchased
by Comcast, and wont be offering cable modems til 2002-3.

My understanding is my brother-in-law purchases dsl from a provider, then
pays a nominal fee to continue to access AOL.

Heres, my question though.  Is there a statistic out there that tells how
many people access web sites while at work or at home.

Being that only 11% of the U.S. poulation has access or subscribes to
broadband, all those web sites with enormous amounts of graphics and large
media files, their visitors are still seeing long download times.

Mike