Re: This is not another WYSIWYG thread...

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Tue, 4 Jan 2000 10:58:43 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Keith: (and Lois)

To continue to "use" the FrontPage Extensions you WILL have to
have FrontPage.

I see your choices as ...

!. Purchase FrontPage (or MS Visual InterDev for ASP work on a NT
server) [Same basic Extensions--yes, there are "some" differences
and InterDev is not as easy to use--no cards and letters please.]

2. (Lois--please note also.) You can NOT--repeat--NOT, FTP to a
site containing FP Extensions. You'll mess up the Extensions.

So Keith, see if you can trade for space where you "can" use FTP.
(This would mean that you "may"--or may not--lose some of the
functionality that now exists on the site. After all, that's what
those Extensions are for.)

In Lois' case, you need to find out if the site is using the
Extensions. If it is not--then it is just a site like any other
site. In general, FrontPage Extensions, like ColdFusion, CGI
scripts, Flash, and any of a dozen other goodies now being used
on web sites, requires the existence of "scripts" and/or server
configuration. In FrontPage's case these so called
scripts/engines and/or enabling gizmos, are contained in the
Extensions. This saves a lot of work but like anything else, you
must take the time to lean their use and the Host's servers must
support them.

3. Totally re-design the site and put it wherever you want it.
You will have to provide the CGI, SSI, DHTML, and what have you
to do the things now being done with FP.

If you do go the FrontPage route, I would suggest that you sign
up with a mailing list like this one, just for FrontPage. One
such list is:

WEBMASTER Resources(tm) Email Discussion List -
http://www.ycoln-resources.com/elist/

If you go to the link you will see the sign-up instructions.
These guys are very sharp and will be able to guide you past any
rough spots. If you have a problem signing up, just e-mail me
directly and I'll be glad to help.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com
http://www.newsredding.com/

>.. I need some advice.  I don't use frontpage, but have made a
(bad)
>agreement with a friend that I will take over their site from
their current
>providor.
>
>Its frontpage - no big deal, one of my servers has the
extensions - but do I