Re: NN vs IE

by "Steven Antonio" <santonio(at)delanet.com>

 Date:  Mon, 24 Apr 2000 04:21:47 -0400
 To:  "HGW-Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Can some explain why the text on my site shows up bold in IE but not NN? I
> didn't bold the text through CSS, just the plain <b> tag.

>Also if i use CSS to format font, do I need to have body and td styles
>separate?

Rayne,

According to the bible, the HTML 4.01 spec., the bold element cannot contain
a font element:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/graphics.html#edef-B

I ran your page through the online validator and was suprised to find that
it didn't pick this up  (sounds like a bug report may be in order).  I think
if you reverse the elements in question, you'll see that it will work in
both browsers.  It has been my experience that while NN supports a narrower
scope of HTML features than MSIE, what it does support, it seems to do so
with strict compliance to the W3C spec.  This is why some people have chosen
to describe NN as "picky".

Also,  on your feedback page, you left off the quotes for the value of the
font size for the word "feedback".  I didn't check your site any further.

I'm not sure about your question on using the same property statement for
multiple elements.  My initial thought was no, but I don't have a lot of
experience with CSS.

Steve Antonio
santonio(at)delanet.com