Re: Kelly B. needs a little guidance

by "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Mon, 5 Feb 2001 11:21:50 -0500
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
v5 actually replaces far more Windows OS files than it needs to,
which is what caused AOL a lawsuit, if I remember correctly.
Perhaps 6 is doing the same?  This could definitely hurt a
networking setup and is the primary reason AOL is barred from all
the useful machines at our shop.  We had 4 on an old P90 for
testing, but it grew outdated and now we have no AOL at all.
Something I need to correct next time we rotate a 233 out of
active service...:)

From: "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

> I'm glad to know this about AOL 6.0... it's going to make things
extremely
> interesting. AOL does not work and play nicely with other ISP
> configurations.

You can say that again.  I put it on the PC I had Personal Web
Server
running on for ASP development.  It took a lot to get everything
back up and
running again after it totally dorked up my networking setup.  I
am sure it
also overwrote some file somewhere. I ended up reinstalling Win98
and PWS.
I went back to "5."  Newer and better version indeed!

It seems that for the most part, the new versions add things you
don't need
and ever more ways of serving up trashy ad's you don't want to
see.  Is this
progress?  Did they hire a bunch of former M.S. programmers to
bloat the
programs and insert more bugs?

Paul Wilson
webgooru(at)gte.net