Re: web safe colors

by "Tammy S. Weibel" <tammy(at)tammyweb.com>

 Date:  Thu, 26 Aug 1999 15:45:35 -0500
 To:  "hwg-basics list" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>,
"Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington(at)okvotech.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> What's the default setting when you install Windows98? How many novice
> users even know that they *can* change that setting, let alone know
> *how* to change it?

Tracy,

I asked the original question. I have reformatted several computers and it
seems to be something that is dependant on monitor hooked up to the computer
when you load the operating system. When I have done my own, my monitor will
make it default to 256 colors but the driver win95 and win98 both install
for my monitor allow for high color. And then I manually set it.

I have reformatted other computers and in one case it couldn't install the
correct driver so 16 colors was all it would allow. Yikes! But downloading
the correct driver will correct this.  Getting the correct driver sometimes
means opening up the computer and determining if the monitor plugs directly
into the motherboard (then you would get the driver from whoever
manufactured the motherboard) or if it plugs into a video card.

But in most cases, I would imagine if it does auto-detect/install the
correct driver for 256/high color, you would have to manually change it from
256 colors to high color.