Re: Translating html

by "Steve Antonio" <santonio(at)delanet.com>

 Date:  Wed, 20 Oct 1999 10:41:09 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
From: Ken Lanxner <klanxner(at)home.com>

> I have searched in the archives for methods of translating html from
> English to other languages. There is not much help there.

The HTML doesn't get translated, only the content.

> My client wants his pages translated and is now working with
> native-language translators who will type the translations into Word
> docs on their own machines with their native language character sets and
> OS installed. What will I need on the US-English end of things to get
> non-Roman characters into the html and display it correctly?

[snipped]

> Can anyone point me toward some decent online help with all this? Am I
> out of my mind for trying?

No, at least I don't think so. However, to give a complete answer would be
very lengthy here so I suggest you read W3C's specification for HTML 4.0,
section 8 very thoroughly and carefully:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/dirlang.html

It will provide you with what you need to get going and point you to other