Re: Manuals created in Word - Posting on the Web

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 29 Dec 1999 14:55:05 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Mr. Johnston??

Putting Word files on the web is fairly simple when going from
Word 97 to FP 98. We have found it easier to Copy and Paste using
Windows Clipboard rather than "inserting" the file.

In Word, simply choose EDIT > SELECT ALL and give it the good old
Control-C. Then bring up FP and place your cursor where you want
and employ Control-V.

Remember: The "tabbed" lists and indents will often be all over
the place.  Often reformatting doesn't do the job.--So go down
the article in NORMAL VIEW and select the errant paragraphs. Then
click on the Increase or Decrease Indent icons to move the
paragraphs into place. If a paragraph is way out of line, just
keep clicking until it moves to where you want it. Don't worry
about the code. FP will do it's thing for you and sometimes it's
just best not to look. (Big Grin)

Also -- --

People visiting your web can easily download Word files but
sometimes they can get a bit large in file size.

The code is: <a href="wordfilename.doc"> Name of File. This is
assuming you place the Word files in the same directory on the
server as the web page calling it. Otherwise, you would have to
also show the path to it.

If the visitor to your page is using IE and also has Word on
their machine--clicking on the link causes IE to Morph into Word
and open the Word file. Note: you can also Right-Click on the
link and save it to disk.

You can try this at:
http://www.temercraft.com/novels/sal-chp2.htm
The links to the Word files are just below the Chapter links on
the left.

Many prefer using Adobe PDF files but if yours are already Word
files and your readers have Word or any of a dozen other programs
that open .doc files, then staying with .doc files would seem the
simple way to go.

We have been copying from Word to FP for some time using FP-98.
We have a client who assures us that it works just the same in
FP2000.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com
http://www.newsredding.com/

>Hi. I sent an e-mail earlier today stating that I am working on
converting a
>manual that was created in Word 97 (using a template, styles, &
autotext)
>over to HTML.  If I save the document as an HTML file and open
it in
>FrontPage 2000, the format is very garbled.  Extra tags are
listed along
>with a great deal of empty space/lines.
>
>I was looking at a website where one of their links opens a word
document
>(saved in doc format) instead of an HTML document.  For an
example, click:
>http://www.stc.org/region4/chi/www/pub/index.shtml
><http://www.stc.org/region4/chi/www/pub/index.shtml> .  Navigate
to the
>bottom where it says, "October Issue" and click on the link.
Instead of
>being in HTML format, the link is a Word document.
>
>I tested linking my FrontPage file to one of my manuals created
via Word
>(still saved as a doc extension) & everything worked.  Has
anyone done this