Re: See pg in Netscape pt@

by "Kate Pollara" <kpollara(at)home.com>

 Date:  Wed, 28 Jun 2000 08:05:27 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jim,
Interesting that you mention the space problem in file names and the
problems created by Microsoft with them.  Shortly before I decided to take
the hwg HTML class, I made the naive mistake of investing in FrontPage 2000.
Then I started talking to pros who gave me the lowdown on its shortcomings.
I was still skeptical and thought that it must have some value.  As I was
perusing the program one day, I found something I really needed and was very
thankful.  This was a program to set up a Bulletin Board for my first site
which was for the Jersey Shore Jazz & Blues Foundation.

To make a long story short, I set up the pages I needed, which was to be a
Musicians Seeking Musicians Page.  When I went to test the pages by
uploading to my server, I was stopped in the process because the file names
that were automatically assigned by the program contained spaces.  I
proceeded to manually go into the program and change all the file names so
that the page links would work.  I then tried it again and mysteriously
FrontPage had overridden my changes and the file names still had spaces in
them.  This infuriated me so that I have never used the program and as a
neophyte I am still seeking:
a)  a good way to do the Bulletin Board
b)  a good program for general web work.
Kate Pollara
http://jsjbf.com