Re: SSI question

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Fri, 1 Jun 2001 16:08:18 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Ed:

The answer to your question is a highly qualified and very tentative and
timid ... yes.

You would of course, have to give each segment a different file name.

But ---

>From looking at your sample code, it would appear at first glance, to be
something that would be better served with a database. There are all kinds
of ways to run databases, (CGI, ASP, etc.) but it might be premature to get
into those at this point.

If you are unfamiliar with databases--and most of us are--you might try
opening up your copy of Access and looking it over. (I did and it sent me on
the run to my local Barnes and Noble.)

Of course, there are several web locations where lots of info is available
about databases, ie: Access, SQL, etc. Once you are comfortable with a
database, you then make your choice of how to bring it to the web.

In broadest and simplest terms, the database resides on the server and a
special program that uses this database, responds to requests for several
pieces, (objects), of information. It then groups all this information
together on a special page and sends it to the browser. (Active Server Pages
is just one example though it, (ASP), generally requires a NT server.)

We do have some on this list who are very experienced with databases and
should you decide to go that way, I'm sure they can point you in the right
direction to get started.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA