Re: programs...

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 24 May 2000 11:36:05 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Woodman:

I keep pushing this product but nobody listens. Well, they do locally. Once
one sees the versatility of Canvas it's hard not to buy it. It has now
spread to five shops that I know of, here in the Redding area.

Canvas, www.deneba.com/  is no doubt, the most underrated and overlooked
program for most of us who "do" other things besides web work.

Canvas does several handy things. Some--but far from all--are the following:

. Most of --if not more than -- the features of Illustrator, PhotoShop
   and PowerPoint  with several features of Quark Express,
   MS Word and Publisher thrown in.

. Combines--in any order--BOTH bitmapped and vector graphics
   You can work with both kinds in the same graphic. Of course
    multiple pages and layers. Size limit is eight foot square.

. Allows you to work with text just like in Word -- complete with the
   little red wiggled lines for misspelled words--or convert them to
   a path and play with them--distort--stretch--skew, etc.
   Plus every typographical attribute imaginable.

. Will save anything created or imported in almost any format:
        PDF
        JPEG
        GIF
        ICO for your favicon.ico files
        And about 20 more ...
        Also opens and saves in almost every other major program
        format including Corel, Adobe products, Word, several CAD
         programs, etc. etc.

. Color separations--both Spot and Process--without the need of a
   Postscript printer. Full control of screen angle and resolution.
   Also  allows editing and scripting in native Postscript and/or EPS
    (In fact, Tri-Media once used it to impose a four-up spread of
     Tabloid size pages for a local weekly insert.)

. Imports and uses most plug-in's and palettes from PhotoShop
   and others.

If I tried to list everything, this e-mail would go on and on -- but you get
the idea.

BTW--it comes with five manuals, a video tape, three CD's full of fonts and
clip art with samples in a big book. There are at least
three Forums on line for help. Some of the people really go out of their way
to help the newbees.

Downsides ?? My biggest complaint is that so far--I haven't taken the time
to figure out how to keep it from defaulting to "full screen" on launch.

It is not the cheapest--though competitive upgrades are usually
available--but if you do more than work over the occasional .jpg from your
digital camera, give Canvas a hard look. It does everything most small
businesses will ever need in the way of graphics. There is a free trial
version on Deneba's web site.

They say ignorance is bliss -- but when it works--it works ...
So
Best wishes from a happy, silly, smirk faced, Canvas user.

Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
www.temercraft.com/