Re: Netscape and Bookmark question:

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Mon, 1 May 2000 16:56:21 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jim:

Of course, it looks great in IE (because the client wants to
> <gulp> edit their own pages in FrontPage).

An often simple and easy task as long as a web designer sets them up with
good, solid templates. We have two or three clients doing that very thing.

And, when you look at it in
> Netscape, the linked text for the bookmark is sometimes up under the >menu
bars, or half way down the page, >

When Netscape does funny things as far as alignment or placement, it is
quite often found to be a problem with table structure. This is easy to cure
in FrontPage.  In Normal View, Just insert above or below the tables you
have now and re-create the table structure. (Opinions differ here but I seem
to have better luck with NN when I use percentages rather than fixed pixel
sizes.)

Once the new table structure is established--you can temporarily apply
borders to see them better--just cut and paste the objects from the old
table into the new and when finished, delete the old empty tables.

(Of course, everyone else tries to mess with the existing tables rather than
replace them with fresh ones but we find it quicker to create new ones in
FrontPage cause it's so easy and quick to do.)

>and even blown out to the right of the
> viewable area.

Often this is caused by a stray <blockquote> or two. Usually caused when
part of the page is done in FrontPage and part hand coded. Also often
happens when text from a word processor is imported or pasted into the
Normal View in FrontPage. The word processor file sometimes has hidden tabs
that end up being blockquotes and they can drive you up a wall.

To edit a cell or table, just click in the object and then Right-Click. When
the little menu pops up, choose "Properties". Change the attributes in the
dialog boxes as you see fit.

And last but not least, remember that FrontPage is just an easy to use
editor. It makes HTML just like anything else. All WYSIWYG editors by their
very nature produce a small amount of redundant but usually harmless code as
they have no choice but to write complete code--with opening and closing
tags--for each object as they go. (They have no way of knowing what is going
to come next.)

However--that being said--I also belong to a FrontPage list and they seem to
have far less trouble with Netscape table problems than some of the newer
members of this list who are hand coding. It takes a while to get tables all
straight and FrontPage of course, does it automatically. Still, even FP can
not cure all the problems of bad page design.

After all, a poorly designed house may fall over whether one uses a hand saw
or a power saw to build it.

Hope some of the above helps
Best wishes
Ted Temer