Re: Transparent Images

by "Abhay S. Kushwaha" <abhay(at)kushwaha.com>

 Date:  Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:08:03 +0530
 To:  "Basics [HWG]" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Sharon Elix says, and I quote:

> Abhay mentioned that I could improve my images by making white
> areas transparent. I know this is a very useful attribute, but
> am not sure how to achieve it.
>
> I currently use Photoshop 5.0 to create all my images.
>
> Anyway, I believe that Photoshop does not support transparency in
> gif files.

Hey Sharon, Photoshop is enough.

Version 5.0 comes with a plug-in for the GIF89a format (The one which
has this transparency funda) and I use it all the time. To check if
you have this filter installed, open up an image in photoshop and go:
FILE
  EXPORT |>
    GIF89a Export...

If you see that in the EXPORT sub-menu, you don't need anything else.
If you don't see it, install it from your installation disk.
Alternatively, you could download the plug-in from the Adobe site [1].

So, how do you actually make 'em transparent? Here's how I do it:
o  Make your image in RGB with WEB palette
o  IMAGE
     MODE |>
       Indexed Color...
   -  Select an appropriate pallette (I generally go in for the
      'Adaptive' one with minimum "bits/pixel" setting to reduce the
      file size. (TIP: As you select various settings, the changes
      are previewed in your actual image to help you decide)
   -  OK
o  FILE
     EXPORT |>
       GIF89a Export...
   -  Just click on the image on the colour you want to make
      transparent or click on the colour on the palette displayed
      towards the bottom.
   -  OK
o  Save As... pops up. SAVE -> USE -> DO THE BONGA!

BTW, in the GIF89a export... Interlacing will increase the filesize a
wee bit. Avoid it for small images (<15-20 K).

> It's not so useful for making banners, icons, etc.

It is quite useful dear. :) Just make the images/frames in Photoshop
and save the individual frames of the animations in a directory/folder
and then start up your GIF Animator and do the "Open/Add -> Animate ->
Save" combo to get your wares.

> I was wondering if any of you could suggest a good graphics
> application that would allow me to convert jpg or tiff (Tagged
> Image File Format) image files, to transparent gif files as
> well as create simple banners, buttons, etc.

Again, Photoshop is quite useful in both the cases. I will insist you
keep using it, especially with your limited budget in mind.

> As you can probably tell, I'm a bit of a novice in the image
> area. I've had some limited exposure to Corel Draw and the
> shareware, GIF Construction Set, but that's about all.
> Appreciate any advice...

Hey Corel is a fine piece of software. I use it to do all my vector
art and it has cleared up a lot of my image fundas as has reading-up
on Photoshop.

Everyone starts one day. Everyone is a novice. And like everybody you
are starting out. A few weeks down the line, I think you'll be the one
offering advice to the new generation. :)

Spend your spare time fiddling with Photoshop. Do this. Do that. Try
this. Try that. Find yourself a few tutorial/instructional sites. Do
their excercises.... You'll be an expert before you can say "huh?" :)

Take a look at (in no particular order) sites like CoolType [2], Eye
Design [3], Ultimate Photoshop [4], Photoshop Professional [5], Andy's
Art [6], WebStyle [7], Photoshop Guru [8], Cyber Dome [9], Designs by
Mark [10], The Pixel Foundry [11], and others. Follow the links from
the sites once you're done with one.

Also, keep referring to your Photoshop manual frequently. It's one of
the best resources you have with you. The online manual (the F1 help)
will also clear up a lot of doubts/fundas for you.

---

 [1] http://www.adobe.com/supportservice/custsupport/LIBRARY/3082.htm
 [2] http://www.cooltype.com
 [3] http://www.adscape.com/eyedesign/photoshop/