Re: Dsl Connection

by "CRAIG S MONROE" <cmonroe11(at)mediaone.net>

 Date:  Sat, 24 Jun 2000 11:12:16 -0400
 To:  "Shelley Watson" <shelleyw(at)home.com>,
"Gary Bonham" <Gary(at)BonhamDesigns.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Adsl, is the flavor of dsl that is winning the race thus far.  It is being
deployed by the majority of the telcos in this country.  This list includes,
but is not limited to Pacific Bell, Southwestern Bell, Bell South, Bell
Atlantic, etc.

xdsl has it benefits, because your dsl line is a dedicated line.  You have
the customer premise equipment that is connected to the dsl line which is
connected to device called a DSLAM which is located in the telco's central
office.  After the dslam, you have an number of atm switches that route your
traffic to your isp's network.

With a cable connection, you again have your cpe equipment which is
"connects" you to the streets coax network.  This then is connected to what
is called the "head end". From the street to the "head end" is where the
neighborhood is sharing the bandwidth.  As more people get on and start
working, there are more packets being stuffed into the same size pipe.

Price cable is usually cheaper than dsl.

Availablity cable is also usally easier to get.

ADSL technology in general is limited in the distance that the signal can be
maintained.  Generally, an ADSL line will not function properly over 15
thousand feet.  This is because we are running over this country's copper
and between bridge taps and the guage of the copper changing, as well as
other high speed services like isdn in the same copper bundle degrades the
signal.  With all of these variables, it is difficult for the phone company
qualify lines properly.

As for hosting services (e.g. web server, etc), the problem with doing this
with ADSL (Asymmetrical Digital Subscriber Line) is that.  The technology is
asymmetrical.

What this means is, if you are sitting in your home or your office, and you
click on the link of a site, those packets travel up the small pipe to the
server.  Say that link initiated the dowload of a large file. That would now
be travelling down to your machine on the "large" pipe.

If you are hosting a web server on your lan, reverse that diagram.  Think of
the users.  Their mouse clicks will travel up to your server on the large
pipe, and again if that iniates the dowload of some large file, that will be
travelling down to the users machine over your small pipe.

This is why ADSL was not intended for hosting services.

I just wanted to throw in a couple of more cents.

Craig M.
cmonroe11(at)mediaone.net  (dsl not available in my territory)