Re: Graphics Program

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Thu, 3 Aug 2000 19:28:48 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Ken and Fuzzy:

Have to agree about the Java part.

I can not say for sure but I do believe most of the "Colada" features in
Canvas actually use JavaScript rather than Java. So I may have miss-spoke,
although Java is certainly mentioned.

The reason I'm not sure is simply that we never use it. I read through some
of it in the manual and it just seemed more involved than it was worth at
the time.  Things that I am talking about here are mouseovers, buttons and
other interactive features. It comes in a package called Colada and it is
kind of a WYSIWYG JavaScript package married to a web page layout. And like
I said, it just seems a little too "messy" for my simple tastes.

However ...

That is just one tiny part of the Canvas package. And--unless you dig down
to the Colada Web Goodies, you will never know it's there.

Canvas is a combination paint graphics, vector graphics, page layout and
presentation program. It does just about everything that PhotoShop,
Illustrator, Quark Express and PowerPoint all combined would do.

The ability to work with all different types of graphics RIGHT IN THE SAME
PICTURE just has to be used to really appreciate how handy it is.

Example: PhotoShop and Picture Publisher both have a lot of text that can be
used in photos and/or drawings but Canvas gives you all the typographical
goodies of Quark and Word, combined. (including the wiggley spell checker
lines if you want them) Imagine a graphics program with a neat text ruler up
above with all the justification, font and character altering, kerning, and
on and on. And you can "size" your drawing in inches, metric, picas or
pixels.

When you get your drawing the way you want it with bitmapped, vector and
text, you just draw a marquee around it to select it all and save it in any
format you choose. And yes, it even saves pages in PDF as well as GIF, JPG
and a whole bunch of others. And with all the progressive, transparent
colors, (plural), compression and other features associated with the
particular format.

Bottom line here is that Fuzzy is right but you can't get in trouble as long
as you do not use the Colada features. And like Fuzzy says--later on, when
you're ready--the features are there when you get enough experience to try
them.

But don't let all that versatility scare you. Each type of graphics can be
used on it's own. Just like many have used Word for years and never set up
columns. You can just ignore most of the "stuff" until you are ready for it.
Even after three years, I still get the urge and open up the manual to try
out a new feature that I had previously ignored.

It's kind of fun. And besides, it tickles the others in the office to see a
seventy year old man giggle ???

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA