text fot acccessibility / was Re: Another W3C strict query

by "Hilma" <Hilma(at)hilma.freeserve.co.uk>

 Date:  Mon, 27 May 2002 08:17:38 +0100
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>,
"Andrew McFarland" <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>
  todo: View Thread, Original

> At 19:15 25/05/02 +0100, Hilma wrote:
> <snip/>
> >Though I'm not sure about accessibility issues on it, as i'd still use
> >colour to differentiate. Any (more) ideas?!
>
> Using color to differentiate is not sufficient;

I know - but i couldn;t figure out the alternative which is why I asked :-)
And got plenty suggestions, thank you all :-)

But this has led me onto  more problems, with the amount of (repeated) text
now being added into my html.

It's bad enough that every nav-bar link now has code for "pipes" in for
text-only browsers -
 <em style="display:none">||</em>
 (despite being nice and compact, thank you Bert, it occurs 10-15 times per
page);
but when i start tagging every photo (or link) with sensible text plus "this
will open a new window" i'm going to end up with a huge amount of extra
bytes.
I'd prefer to do it via text strings in JS -  but i can;t rely on JS being
enabled (loads of my HTML stuff i would prefer to do in JS, but i know that
that limits things for a lot of people) - so i considered adding
a "key" on the main page (or even every page), i.e. a small "key" image and
the word "key", top right of the window,   to link to a small pop-up,
with an explanation, along the lines of
"<blue link text> and alt-text beginning "intLink" indicates an  internal
link that will open in this window ....
"<green link text> and alt-text starting "newPhoto",  indicates that a new
window will be opened to display a full-size photo
"<purple link text> and alt-text starting "extLink" indicates an external
link that will open in a new window ....

i.e. - a key to short-cut terms that are not obvious but will save repeated
typing on every link and photo.
(Colours to be decided later)

Comments on this approach please?
I really want :
1/ to limit repeated text in my html,
2/ to limit myself to Client-side for now (i'm not up to server-side
scripting yet,)
3/ and i do want maximum accessibility

thanks :-)

hilma