Re: 2 questions re: tags I've never seen and a fontface question

by "Donna M Smillie" <dms(at)zetnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Sun, 8 Aug 1999 10:23:21 +0100
 To:  <tjtmd(at)ibm.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Tanya

----- Original Message -----
From: Tanya <tjtmd(at)ibm.net>

> 1. In seperating hyperLinks, the texts uses a tag (I've never
> seen)called <SPACE> (Not <SPACER>) Can anyone explain this?

Can't help with that one, I'm afraid, except to say that neither of these
is part of HTML 3.2 or 4.0 as far as I know - I'm assuming one or both are
specific to a certain browser.  Alternatively, might the author have
written that to indicate an actual space character, in the same way that
one often sees <ENTER> to represent the ENTER or RETURN key?  Just a
thought.

> 2. I have to define FONT FACE as follows: <FONT FACE="arial
> black,helvetica black,lb helvetica">Text</FONT>
> I read in another book that the 3 choices are there for browsers that
> may not have the 1st, or 2nd font in the system. Is that the reason for
> 3?
> But the main question is the lb before the last helvetica. I CANNOT find
> it ANYWHERE!

Essentially you can list as many or as few alternative font names in the
FACE list as you wish, and yes, the idea is that if the end user doesn't
have your first choice of font installed, their browser will work it's way
down the list until it finds one that is installed, and will use that one.
It's usually a good idea to end the list with at least one "common" font
(like Arial, or Times New Roman, for example) followed by a "font-family" -
eg "sans-serif" or "serif" or "monospace".  The reason for this is that, if
the browser can't find any of the specified fonts on the user's system, it
will use whatever default font they have set, and as an absolute last
resort you can at least suggest to the browser that your page should be
displayed using a specified "type" of font, like sans-serif.

As for "lb helvetica", that's not a font name I'm familiar with, but there
are literally thousands of fonts out there - it may be a Macintosh font.

HTH!

Regards,
Donna
--