Re: Web sites to learn from...

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 14 Mar 2001 14:14:47 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Marcia:

Actually--You can learn from almost ANY web site. Especially when it comes
to "layout".

The problem is that most sites--other than "hobby" sites--are almost always
done for a client. This client may have their own ideas, often based on
magazine layouts. So the layout often looks like they were designed by
"committee".

But--Sometimes it works quite well. After all, the general rules for page
layout have been around for years and years. Look for Desktop Publishing
sites, such as Canvas' site:
www.deneba.com/
or
www.dtp.com/  Look in the small Menu on the upper left for articles and how
to's ... This is a "must site" for those of us who also do work for print
media.

Some commercial sites can get really wild. (Full of goodies) An example
might be www.sony.com/ . Just don't try to view this one with an older
Netscape. [grin]

Some sites adhere strictly to the principles of simple but elegantly correct
HTML. The classic example here would be: www.canopy.net/

Sometimes a site is presented in a layout that was done to make it easy to
read and at the same time, easy to drop in new text material. An example
would be one of my novel pages:
http://www.temercraft.com/novels/chihu-01.shtml

Any of Microsoft's sites would be good examples of presenting database
information. And don't overlook some of the News sites. There too, form
follows function. In fact, check out these three to see the different
approaches to the same general result--viewing the news:

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ts/?u
http://abcnews.go.com/
http://www.msnbc.com/news/summary.asp

You can also learn from the less than perfect sites. Look over any of the
sites listed under my signature and imagine what you would change to make
them look less the work of a sick and confused mind.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net