Re: Domain Name on AOL

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Thu, 8 Feb 2001 08:56:29 -0500
 To:  <shawn(at)sportsstuff.com>,
"HWG Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I may be designing a site for a friend of mine whom I
> believe has an AOL account with some server space.  If he
> wants to use this space included with his aohell to publish
> his site to, is there a way to use a domain name with it or
> will I be stuck with something like
> http://aol.hometown.members.pages.myfriend.mysite.html ??
> If I can use a domain name, what do I do with it once it's
> registered?  Whenever I've needed a domain name in the past,
> my ISP takes care of it for me and then tells me the
> directory on the server to upload to.  Plus I have unix
> shell access so I can work with the directories on the
> server through that too.  AOL, however, won't be this
> helpful I'm guessing.  If I remember correctly you can't
> even upload to their server with any FTP program besides the
> one built into the AOL app.
> If anyone can lend me some suggestions, I'd be greatful.  He
> may just agree to purchase some server space through a
> ~real~ ISP but I'd like to be prepared.

AOLer's get a few meg of space for a personal homepage, if
this is the case he's not supposed to use it for any business
use... That's the type of web address you're showing above.

however

What you can do is locate one of the many websites that do
"redirects" like http://www.vdirect.com/info  and use their
redirecting services to hide the real location name.  He would
still need to get a domain name from someone like
http://www.directnic.com which costs $15.00 a year. They also do
redirection for free.  You'll need to check into it further.  There may
be banners or some other pain in the butt problem attached to
these services.

Paul WIlson
webgooru(at)gte.net