Re: Thank you Microsoft!!

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Thu, 20 Sep 2001 13:54:48 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Fuzzy:

> Makes you want to buy a whole "suite" of M$ products and mail them to the
> Middle East - doesn't it.
>
> :-)
> Fuzzy.
> <Has a copy of NT Server to donate>

Hey---They can't have my MS products !!

Actually--It makes me want to be sure that I keep up on all the latest
patches and service packs. BTW--Microsoft suggests that regardless of which
type of Windows you are running--if you have the latest updates installed,
you have little to worry about with this latest "worm". Among several other
things, the latest patches available would have already blocked the CodeRed
and thusly, this new virus would lose it's primary "way in" to your system.

Having IE on my system meant that installing MS's IE Service Pack 2 also
went in and strengthened the whole Windows system. And that's something you
can't do with Netscape, no matter all the whining and crying by the DOJ.

One thing that does occur to me ...  WHY are so many seemingly blaming
Microsoft because their products are being victimized?? Of course, these
whacko's will pick on MS products. After all, they outnumber all the rest
many times over. Where is the hate and venom for the creators of the
viruses??

The thing to keep in mind here--is that ALL systems are at risk unless one
works to protect them. And if you do your homework and keep your system up
to date, then Windows--even the NT series--is really not all that much more
susceptible than any other system. It just gets picked on more because of
its overwhelming popularity. And because of all this, we are more aware of
the Windows shortcomings. But don't for a minute, think that Windows is the
ONLY system with holes !!

After all--if you wanted World Wide results--who would bother developing
some fancy virus for WordPerfect instead of Word -- Or Netscape instead of
IE -- Or the Mac system instead of Windows?? There just aren't enough of
them around to make it worth a virus hacker's time.

Let's be fair. If a bunch of miscreants started aiming their work at the
Mac, would Steve Jobs spend as much time, effort and money as Microsoft,
keeping up with fixes for all the latest worms that would then show up??

And don't kid yourself, Mac's--or any other system may need different
approaches than Windows NT--or Word--or Active X or whatever. But--those
other systems can still be "had" by anyone willing to devote the time and
effort to do it.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA