Re: Accessibility validation

by "Hilma" <Hilma(at)hilma.freeserve.co.uk>

 Date:  Sat, 25 May 2002 16:00:50 +0100
 To:  "Ineke van der Maat" <inekemaa(at)xs4all.nl>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
hi Ineke-

 and thank you for that -

> Accessibility requires also a page is accessible without java script.
> Your popup-menus are not accessible without javascript and  in this way
you
> offer different information to sighted
> and not sighted visitors. I don't think you want that.

Yes, but all my pages are still totally *accessible* without JS.
What is not available, is the DHTML / short-cut menu / dropdowns.
These require JS; but without JS, the user simply clicks on the (say)
"volunteers" button, and gets the "volunteers" page, which has got the
submenu (drop-down) opened up and visible in full.
There is no less *accessibility* without JS, i've been careful about that -
but there is a *short-cut* available with JS.
 http://mysite.freeserve.com/bbm/hagar/HH/HHAbout.htm

Is that not sufficient?
I hope so, and it's just that you hadn't clicked the "Volunteers" button to
see!
It is, of course, possible that those with JS won;t realise that there is a
"Volunteers" page, and will miss it by always using the shortcuts, and i'm
not sure what to do about that -  unless I add another option to the
Volunteers submenu, called, "volunteers" :-o

(You also need JS to view a photograph full-size;
if you click on a thumbnail in the BTCV volunteers page (That's me at the
bottom with a saw ;-)   ) you get a new window with the full-size photo in,
but nothing else. I feel that accessibility in this case is not an issue, as
the photo alone is not much usefor anyone with text-only anyway -  and that
it is "icing" rather than content.
Does that sound reasonable, i really would like an opinion).

OH NO - this but doesn't work anymore! It did last time i tried -  and will
do again, just as i've read all my mail!

> I looked your page in http://www.accessibility.nl  click site testen
snoop
> with only tables and images on.. or test your site in lynx is also
possible in
> this site.. .
I want to check with a text-only browser, but i'm not sure where to get
one - is there one i can download from somewhere to make that  test?
Though that site does look good (oh help, the curse of the English - i only
read English!  Every Dutchman i have met is fluent in about 5 langauges, but
being English i'm limited to one and a few scrapings)
Can you give a quick translation of all the stuff in the drop-downs please?!
Bobby and lynxviewer i can understand, but what else is in there that is
useful for a non-Dutch speaker?!

> There is also something wrong with your text about the browsers . I can
read the
> code not the text.
> I can see | between the links but WCAG requires this [  ...] and when you
want
> to have the validation-icons on your page , put || in your alt  (altribute
alt="
> || " ) and || will be showed on lynx to seperate them.

I'm sorry, i don;t quite understand.
Can you quote the bit of code i use, and also your correction?

I haven;t found the actual WCAG validation,  unless it is the same as
Bobby - but i'm keen to get the logo!

Many thanks for your help --

hilma
---x---