Re: Web cam for graphics?

by "Grizzly Graphics" <grizzlygraphics(at)mindspring.com>

 Date:  Sun, 9 Jan 2000 13:07:43 -0500
 To:  "Jeri Burdett" <terravita(at)mindspring.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jeri,

Web-cams generally can capture images at 640X480 which is more than adequate
for any web-based image usage.  Our monitors only show about 72 pixels per
inch, so a 640X480 image looks fine on our computer monitor.  If on the
other hand he intends to print the image, a higher resolution camera would
be required to get the quality he is looking for since most printers are
printing at 300dpi.

I say that a good web-cam like the Intel PcCamera (approx. $60) or similar
will do the job.  they offer a manual focus and adequate resolution for
web-based sites.  The only down side is you have to use it while connected
to the PC unless you buy the web-cam put out by the "SoundBlaster" Folks
(approx. $125).  This camera is a dual usage model and can come off of it's
mount and be used as a standard digital camera.  Of course it is only good
for up to 640X480 and has no removable data storage.

As he gets more serious he can spend the $$$ and get a digital camera,
although by the time I get done replying to this e-mail the price of
digitals will have dropped another 10%.

Don Haller
Big Grizzly, Graphics & Web Solutions
http://www.biggrizzly.com