Re: opening wp files

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Fri, 4 May 2001 09:34:27 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Dear "ghostly":

Just open your WordPerfect file in Word. Then you can have your way with it.

Even slicker--and simpler--is to just use the Insert File feature in
FrontPage 2000. You can insert all versions of WordPerfect straight into it.

In the unlikely event, you don't have Word or FrontPage, you can usually
open most of the "off-brand" word processing formats in the program called
WordPad that comes with Windows 95-98.

(If you don't have Windows 95-98, well--[big silly grin]--there are support
groups at the mental health centers of every major city.)

The other problem that pops up is the "version" of the various files.
Upgrading to the latest version of Word usually resolves this.

Example: Several graphics/print firms were getting WordPerfect files from a
local county government office. The agency bought a later version of the
program and suddenly Word 98 would not open it. After a suitable amount of
profanity, we in turn, upgraded to Word 2000. That solved the problem.

Ironically, the county office got so many complaints, they switched to Word
themselves. And two weeks after this was done, they then purchased Adobe
Acrobat and now put out their distribution files in PDF. [Sigh]

Like the man said, "Every time you pound in a stake to establish a
benchmark, the world moves a hundred meters down the road."

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net