Re: copyrighted FP themes?

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Sat, 4 Sep 1999 09:31:07 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Rea:

I doubt that you have any serious worries here about copyright as
many of the aspects of the "themes" will work themselves out
automatically. Without the actual files and art that was stored
on the hard drive, (not to mention the need for FrontPage
Extensions for some functions), they would be hard to maintain.

The StartSpan, etc. is how FP keeps a theme separate. In an
offbeat way, it's sort of like a form with a little SSI thrown
in. (Well, sort of??)

I doubt however, that Microsoft would get upset if you re-created
a similar look and feel to the site. However, it would no longer
be automatic. You would have to create a template or some such.

As to the WebBot "HTMLMarkup". That is just FrontPage telling
itself that the enclosed code is something special that was
inserted and to leave it alone. It is where you might put the
code from FreeFind, or a banner display, etc. It is actually
quite useful. In fact several semi hand coders have mentioned
that they snip this code and store it in any of the several
editors (such as CuteHTML), that allow code elements to be
inserted via a mouse click.

In FP's "Normal" view, the markup Bot displays a small yellow
rectangle. One can copy and paste this in pages throughout a site
much easier than trying to insert raw code into a page full of
code as in FP's HTML view.

Lastly, a FrontPage web is after all, just an HTML page like any
other. The only thing you will lose is the features that require
Extensions (Ex: Auto Linking) and most, ("some") of us don't use
them anyway, preferring to FTP our pages to the server.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com
http://www.newsredding.com/

>Hello List,
>
>I have been asked now 3 times by one web site owner regarding
assuming
>the role of webmaster for her to replace an increasingly
inattentive
>webmaster. If she can show me she indeed owns all the copyrights
to the
>site and can split ties with the other webmaster I am strongly
>considering it.
>
>The site was created using Front Page and uses MS Front Page
themes.
>Exactly what is a MS theme? I am assuming it is the canned
looking
>clipart/combos (no offense intended ... the "webmaster" has no
>imagination ... I am certain in the right hands the program
itself is
>wonderful.) I see used on all of this webmaster's sites.
>
>Comment tags such as:
><!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" TAG="XBOT" StartSpan --><meta
>name="Microsoft Theme" content="company_name 111,
default"><!--webbot
>BOT="HTMLMarkup" endspan -->
>are used through out the source code. I don't have a clue what
that
>means.
>In other cases the webmaster has made such a mess of the code I
suspect
>a total rewrite will be easier than a clean-up.
>
>Does MS Front Page have clipart that could have been used on the
site
>the site owner cannot claim copyrights for?  Is that what the
"themes"
>are all about?  Does anyone have any tips, things I should be
aware of
>before taking on a FP created site. I use HomeSite and
Dreamweaver and