Re: Downloading Files

by "Steven Antonio" <santonio(at)delanet.com>

 Date:  Tue, 20 Jun 2000 15:51:15 -0400
 To:  "HTML Writers' Guild" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Edward,

I'm sure there are other ways that I'm not aware of, but for all intensive
purposes you're right, it's the browser.  In general, the windows you
mentioned will appear when a user clicks on a link to a type of file that
the browser can't display.  So usually anything besides a text, HTML, or
image file will invoke these windows.  However, it also depends on other
software you have installed on your computer.  Microsoft likes to integrate
everything so tightly that with certain combinations of its software, the
download option is taken away from you.  For instance, if you use IE as your
browser and certain versions of their office products, the document will
appear to open right inside your browser.

Steve