RE: Mac vs. PC

by "Kali Woodbridge" <kaliajer(at)mail.com>

 Date:  Wed, 1 Mar 2000 20:26:32 -0500
 To:  "'A Kirk'" <p8j83(at)pgj.keele.ac.uk>,
"'post to hwg-basics'" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Rowan-

> are there any problems w/doing
> ASP & HTML, etc. on a Mac?

Short Answer: Yes.

Longer Answer: You can write any text-based whatever you want (Perl, ASP,
HTML, CGI, Java, etc.) on any OS you want (Mac, PC, Unix, Commodore 64 <g>).
HOWEVER, you will need an IIS server or an NT system to actually serve
and/or test the ASP pages. There are, of course, workarounds so that you can
test your ASP materials prior to going "live" on your site. And there are
other ways to dynamically generate pages accessing a database that can be
done using solely Mac systems or Unix systems or whatever floats your boat.
I hear Drumbeat is cross-platform (Mac/PC) and that it does this sort of
thing well.

I am in a solid Mac shop in the office. I do a lot of work at home which is
PC-based. I float stuff back and forth all the time. I write for MY
particular market which still is at least 30% Mac viewers, and for MY server
which is Unix. Having PhotoShop on both work and home OS helps, I admit. But
HTML can be written on just about anything and is ported back and forth
easily. I use BBEdit on the Mac, and a variety of non-invasive HTML editors
on the PC (PageBuilder, 1st Page 2000, Notepad, etc.). Works for me just
fine.

Problems? Depends on your viewpoint. No matter what OS you choose you will
have to make compromises or deal with workarounds somewhere.

Good Luck!
--
He who has choice has trouble.
-- Dutch Proverb