Re: Database Question

by "Bryan Bateman" <batemanb(at)home.com>

 Date:  Wed, 4 Oct 2000 08:17:19 +0100
 To:  "Jim Tom Polk" <jtpolk(at)texas.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I guess the first question is, does your host have a database for your use?

Using SQL to read and write to a database is much more straight forward than
parsing a flat file.  Many hosting environments in Unix have Perl/PHP and
MySQL at resonable rates.  Writing the parsed query string to both sendmail
and a database is quite straightforward.

If you are on an NT platform then ASP/ADO is your friend.  In the old days
you needed an ODBC Data Source Name to be set up on the server.  Now you can
program a DSN-less connection and manipulate the the .mdb file directly.
You will however have to write your email program in ASP.

Best to find out what OS your host has to offer and then find out the
programming tools he has.