Re: Cache

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Sat, 4 Sep 1999 13:24:55 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Patti:

The "cache" is a sort of storage area used by browsers in the
context of the discussion at present, but in a more broad sense,
servers (during some certain operations), and even Windows
itself, (Temp files), also store information temporarily for some
functions. Generally this file is called a "cache" just like a
"cache" of gold, ammunition, food, etc.

Your browser for example, stores the info about the page you
visited so when you hit the "Back Arrow" it can reload the page
without downloading from the original server all over again.

How often this file can be cleared or emptied out, can be set in
the options of the browser.

The reason for the concern in this thread is that some sites,
(late news for example) need a fresh reload to be sure they are
displaying the latest data.

Tom, Art and others have pretty much explored the usual code
commands for this and it seems to be true that browser reaction
to all this nonsense is spotty at best. At least all my attempts
have been "iffy". I too have newscasts all over my magazine site.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net