Re: hiding Html from Viewers

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Sun, 10 Oct 1999 10:00:30 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Dorine:

Keep people from copying you work -- Sorry ...

There are one or two gizmos that limit this sort of thing to
those who haven't learned to "hack" around them but the general,
practical answer is that you CAN NOT stop this unless you keep
your material OFF the web and that would of course, be self
defeating.

In a very real sense, it is just like publishing a book. If they
can read it, they can copy it. Web pages are the same--there is
no way for a person to view your page until the material has been
downloaded to the browser. By this time it is all on their
computer and they can pretty much "have their way with it".

In both cases, the only sure way to keep people from helping
themselves to your stuff is to use a bank vault. Actually--when
someone copies a few lines from one of my books, I'm kind of
proud. When they give me a credit line, I'm delirious with joy.
(Of course, some would say delirious is my natural state)

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net