Re: Cell width shifts

by "Gary Bonham" <Gary(at)BonhamDesigns.com>

 Date:  Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:44:38 -0800
 To:  "Leopoldo Willik" <munchhausen(at)rocketmail.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
The only way I've been able to hold cell widths at the proper values is to
use transparent gifs. Size the width of the gif to the desired width of the
cel, and make them carefully total up to the width of the table. Sometimes I
put one row, perhaps only 2 pixels high, across the top or bottom, which has
nothing but transparent gifs to establish the spacing of the cels. Note that
this works for me as I tend to always turn borders off on my tables, so this
extra row just blends in as a little extra margin which can be very useful
in the design.

Regarding IE v.s. NN - there are also significant differences in things like
text entry field widths between IE4 and IE5. This really fouled up some of
my tables for awhile and was a real pain to try to code for.

Gary Bonham