Re: Anchor in a frame problem

by "Paul Wilson" <webguroo(at)tampabay.rr.com>

 Date:  Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:46:49 -0400
 To:  <kpollara(at)home.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Hi folks,
> I have set up a link from my home page to get to an anchor on a festival
> page to direct folks specifically to the spot where they can get ticket
> information.  The destination of the link is part of a frames page.
> However, when you click on the link, it takes you to the top of the page
> instead of to the anchor.
>
> The original link is on this home page:
> http://jsjbf.com
> At the bottom of the third box in red is the link to the Great Adventure
> tickets anchor as follows:
> http://jsjbf.com/greatadventureindex2001.html#tickets but it just brings
you
> to the page, not the anchor.  Is this a frames problem?
>
> The same anchor works fine once you are on the festival page, but it
doesn't
> seem to work from a different page.  Is this something peculiar to frames
or
> did I miss something?

  You have two problems here.  The second link above goes to the frame page
which doesn't have the anchor in it.  The anchor is actually in a subpage.
The correct reference would be:

http://jsjbf.com/greatadventure2001.html#tickets

 The second half of this problem is that you are trying to open a framed
page from a non-framed websight. It gives me a headache just thinking about
it.   Since the page in question does not have to be framed for your use,
just use the link I gave you here.  You may need to add:

target="_TOP" to the HREF for some browsers.

 You expended effort creating the website, then you expended effort driving
viewers to your website by promoting the website.... only to redirect them
to another website???

  I would recommend using a pop-up window for the page above.  Otherwise
people viewing your page will be off looking at tickets and forget to come
back to your website.

 Another thing to consider is that you are using an external link to another
website.  Websites change and this link could be gone in a few days.  Do you
plan to check this link several times a week?

Paul Wilson
webguroo(at)tampabay.rr.com