Stylesheets (was Re: How to remove the underline on links)

by "Ineke van der Maat" <inekemaa(at)xs4all.nl>

 Date:  Mon, 1 Oct 2001 15:10:09 -0700
 To:  "JCS" <eandscon(at)javanet.com>,
"Jamie Mackay" <Jamie.Mackay(at)mch.govt.nz>,
"catwoman" <catwoman(at)enter.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello Jennifer,

I saw the Webmonkeysite, but they don't use the stylesheets correctly. They
don't explain why the name is CASCADING Stylesheets. There is nothing
CASCADING in their example stylesheets..

The properties and their  value  must CASCADE  in the order you put these in
your stylesheet The CLASSNAME  must reflect the structure element for which
you
are using it without any reference to the presentation of this
structure-element in the page..  (seperating structure from presentation as
it is meant for) THAT IS NOT EASY AT ALL
Also is there not to be read that the  span tags (inline element)   must be
avoided as much as possible.

I want to recommend everyone on this list  to learn CSS and XHTML (strict if
possible)  as soon
as possible  because there is coming an extension of the Web: the Semantic
Web (See therefore http://www.w3.org/2001/sw   and
http://www.semanticweb.org  This web is based on X(HT)ML  and stylesheets.
Because XHTML is as well XML as HTML, it is the easiest  to learn and it can
be used for the Semantic Web.

For accessibility issues the Semantic Web is also very important

In search engines there are more as 27.000 documents about the Semantic Web.

I found this in an article when I put semantic web in the search engine on
the Webmonkeysite: It comes from the article "The SemanticWeb a primer".
Published at http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2000/11/01/semanticweb/index.html

XHTML
" Perhaps surprisingly, a powerful tool for the construction of the Semantic
Web is HTML itself or, more properly, XHTML. Most people are acquainted with
the "meta" tags which can be used to embed metadata about the document as a
whole (for more on metadata see An Introduction to Dublin Core.) Yet there
are more powerful, granular techniques available too. Although largely
unused by web authors, XHTML offers several facilities for introducing
semantic hints into markup to allow machines to infer more about the web
page content than just the text. These tools include the "class" attribute,
used most often with CSS stylesheets. A strict application of these can
allow data to be extracted by a machine from a document intended for human
consumption."

 Being a webmaster there is always very much to learn, as
techniques/technology  always change. So I want to learn all the other
languages needed for the semantic web: XML, RDF, DAML, OIL, SQL, XSLT
Have still much to do before I am 100.
Is the whole.life not learning, learning and leaning again, isn't  it?

Greetings
Ineke van der Maat