Re: Legality of Linking

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Sun, 8 Aug 1999 17:02:50 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
David:

I am very surprised to hear that you are having time out problems
with Microsoft. I continue to employ a 28.8 modem so that my
download speeds will be similar to those viewing the webs I
create. I know MS has thousands and thousands of pages but only
during peak times in the early evening have I ever had a "time
out" and then only rarely.

As "The Web" is an ever changing collection of cables, trunk
lines, etc. it is true that it can suffer speed loss at times but
I have yet to notice that geographical distance had much to do
with it.

While researching an action novel I had occasion to download
articles from a server in Greece many times. Yes--there were
times when it was slow--but most of the time, it seemed just as
fast as servers in my own city of Redding, CA USA.

In researching the Perl article this morning I bounced about in:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/ at some length, going both
forwards and backwards. True they, (visited pages), were ASP
pages but they loaded so quick I assumed they were coming from a
cache on my hard drive. I would agree that browser or platform
should have little to do with it. I happen to be running Windows
95 on the machine in question and use IE-4.07

I would suggest trying to surf their site at about 8-10 AM PST.
(I'm too lazy to try it during the middle of the night.)

In any case, best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com

>Ted,
>Notwithstanding any difference between the keyword search
option/site
>location chosen for this particular enquiry which may cause a
difference
>between your and Chris' experience, there is the consideration
of distance.
>Because of the number of 'hops' between here and the MS web
svrs, there is
>an amazing difference in performance - as perceived at the
desktop. If I run
>a search on MS, even shifting from the results on 'page one' to
see those on
>'page two', I can expect to receive only half of the page, a
joyful err msg,
>and the announcement that I (what me?) timed out! Hitting F5
might just do
>the trick after an attempt or two, but MS' low time settings and
their
>insistence on using dynamic pages (which means that the BACK
button has no
>browser cache meaning) is sometimes a v.frustrating exercise.
The speed of