Re: Forms and cgi

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Tue, 7 Sep 1999 17:55:29 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Sascha:

I do not see any other replies to this forms/database question so
I will cover it in a very brief and broad way but hopefully, it
will be enough to point you in a few directions to get more
complete answers.

The first thing to consider is whether you really need a database
and a form. Can this be accomplished by simply offering choices
in a menu. An example of what I mean here would be at:
http://www.autoandtruckoutlet.com/

When you get to the first page, there are links on the left that
take you to a page with special types of used vehicles -- such
as:
http://www.autoandtruckoutlet.com/sedan.htm

On this page is a listing of Sedans and Station Wagons. You can
choose from this list to see the actual used car or truck you
like. But-- If you change your mind about the TYPE of vehicle you
wish--then the original links are still there on the left side.

In this manner one can have several choices but it is just simple
HTML. As long as each page is meaningful people do not mind a
"few" clicks.

However-- To put all this in a database where you can access the
information you would indeed need either a CGI script or Active
Server Pages, (ASP).

ASP is probably the most versatile but generally requires the use
of an MS NT Server. (This is not a big thing--many ISP's use NT
servers)

But ASP like CGI requires learning a simple??? programming
language like JavaScript, Perl or VB Script.

FrontPage, (using their Extensions) can do simple ASP database
work. But for more serious work you will need either Visual
InterDev from Microsoft, Cold Fusion (Expensive!!) or Drumbeat,
etc. etc.

Oh yes--you will also need a database. Either a basic, (but very
popular) one like MS Access or a more heavy duty one like SQL.
(There are several to choose from)

Before you made any choices or spend any money, I would suggest
you go to C-Net's Builder.Com at:
http://www.builder.com/

Click through their menus or use their search engine to find
articles about databases, CGI, ASP, and all the software I
mentioned above.

This only just touches the tip of the iceberg here. Do some
research and then come back to the list with your questions. (You
WILL have lots of questions.) Some of the folks on this list are
very sharp in this area.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com
http://www.newsredding.com/

>Hello Hello.
>With this first posting I am also announcing my presence - hello
together.

>Ok,
>I want to create a form where a user can insert data or make
selections and
>depending on what he inputs he will get a certain
>result displayed. It is kind of a questionary and should stretch
over
>several pages. I read in a book that I would have to get a
cgi-program to