Re: Another sound question

by "spats" <spats(at)banet.net>

 Date:  Fri, 14 Jan 2000 17:42:18 -0500
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>,
"Tamara" <sportsmom(at)comwerx.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Tamara,

Hello.

I think RealJukeBox files are write-protected, and can only be read (without
some sort of encryption work-around) from the computer on which they are
created. This may account for the large file size. In general, ra. files are
smaller than Mp3 compression and these, in turn, are much smaller than a
comparable wav. file.

Real Producer will allow you to make streaming files and upload them to the
web. The free version allows you to to choose one particular target modem
speed, whereas the $$$ version allows several. The on-the-cheap version is
sufficient for most uses. It even has a wizard that will prepare files for
the web. You can cut and paste the code to integrate the songs into your
mainpage if needed.

Many space providers don't offer support for Real audio files, though.

Most folks simply use Winamp or another program, (I use Musicmatch Jukebox)
to rip their CD's to mp3 form, then  upload them to the site. Audiogalaxy,
Riffage, Mp3.com and other sites offer tutorials and FAQ's on most aspects
of promoting and transporting your sound files.

MusicMatch has an option to record sound clips as well, I believe. Maybe
Winamp does too. Most people provide an entire song or two, then provide a
link to buy the complete CD. My guess is that only offering brief  Mp3 clips
would irritate, rather than provoke interest. The egalitarian and rather
frugal spirit of the web prevails in matters of internet hipness, I'm
afraid...

Good luck to you. I hope this helps some.

Jim