RE: htm v. html

by "Kali Woodbridge" <kaliajer(at)mail.com>

 Date:  Mon, 27 Mar 2000 23:16:33 -0500
 To:  "'Tamara Abbey'" <t_abbey(at)USA.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Good Evening Tamara--

<snip>
In English, what is the difference between htm and html file
extensions?
</snip>

Good question... and I am sure others will have answers
adding to my definition.

It goes with the saying, "You say 'toe-MAH-toe and I say
'toe-may-toe'"--- DOS started it all on the PC with the
"8-dot-3" convention. (This is now part of the 9660 ISO
standard that -- among other things -- attempts to ensure
cross-platform compatibility.)

You gots your filename, a dot (period), and the 3 character
extension which defines the application type the filename is
associated with or was created in. The Mac, on the other
hand, can handle extensions or even no extensions on a
filename. The file header itself tells the Mac operating
system which program to use to read it with.

.htm IS .html and nowadays, most PC web programs and OS's
can handle the longer filename extension. It is a cheap way
of (generally) telling which files originated on a PC if you
see the .htm extension. On the other hand, Macs have to be
reminded to put an extension ON a filename <g>.

Cheers!
kali
kaliajer(at)mail.com