Re: Dsl Connection

by "Gary Bonham" <Gary(at)BonhamDesigns.com>

 Date:  Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:37:40 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Well, after seeing so many replys to this, I just have to put in my
comments.

I was on Cable (@home) for quite awhile, and really noticed the degradation
in the evenings and weekends when everyone else was home tying up the
bandwidth. This corresponded to when I wanted to use it, as I have a day job
(internet work) so would use the home computers for work evenings and
weekends.

I decided to switch to DSL and it is the best thing ever. No more slowdown
evenings and weekends. I get a consistent 700+Kbits bandwidth. I have a
fixed IP address, so can host websites at home on my server, and I use a
proxy to share the connection between three other computers in the house.
@home would not even think about allowing web hosting, no matter what!

There is a URL for checking your current speed:
http://computingcentral.msn.com/topics/bandwidth/speedtest50.asp
The URL is a page that reports your connection speed. After switching to
DSL, I kept @home for a couple of weeks and could switch between them. I
consistently got readings in the high 600s and up to 750 on my DSL (a friend
gets over 1Mbps as he is closer to the "central office"). On @home I seldom
got as high, with evenings being in the 200s. Only two times did the cable
speed exceed DSL speed. One of those times was on a Friday when I was home
during the day and did two measurements at noon on cable and got readings of
1.2Mb and 940Kb. Then at 4:12pm the same day I got 241 and 309. This shows
how it depends on the users on the cable, something that has negligible
effects on DSL service. Most of the time the DSL timing was a constant 741.

Note that these speeds are the downlink speeds. Uplink is 128Kb and pacbell
doesn't offer it any faster. Gen tel, which my daughter has, offers faster
uplink speeds for a bit higher price. If pacbell offered this I'd take it in
a heartbeat since that represents the speed with which people can access my
web sites. However, @home won't let you host web sites under any
circumstances (unless things have changed).

When I signed up I had to purchase my DSL modem. Now you can get deals where
you don't have that expense. The monthly rate is $38.95, as I recall. My
daughter got her dsl for no money at all up front - just the monthly rate,
which, I believe, is similar to what I get.

Bottom line, is that if you can get it, I feel it's the best way to go for
the money. In our area there is a service called "FreeDSL" which offer
lesser bandwidth but no cost (except I suspect you have to purchase the
equipment, and there may be an installation charge, I don't know).

Incidently in Utah (Salt Lake City) I understand there is a system using
wireless with MUCH higher bandwidths, and at consumer rates, but I don't
know the details. Perhaps even better systems are on the way!

Gary