AOL 6.0, ISPs, and other stuff

by "IceWolf" <icewolf(at)tampabay.rr.com>

 Date:  Mon, 5 Feb 2001 08:51:36 -0500
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
AOL still allows the BYOP connection - on the rare occasions that I have to
use the silly thing for work, that's how I hook it up. But I'm using AOL 4.0
(I believe), not 6.0.

Recently I went through various levels of pain and agony in order to
determine if it were possible to make AOL 5.0 work and play nicely with my
company's VPN software. The answer is: yes. It can be done. But it requires
that whoever installs AOL know what they're doing.

Without knowing where you're located, or what your financial situation is,
it's hard to make any sort of recommendation as to ISP. My *own* preference
is a real ISP rather than using something like yahoo.com or whatever. I'd
also recommend a broadband connection if you can afford it (and it's
available in your area). This is especially true if you are going to be
doing a lot of file transfers to/from the web; a high speed connection is
almost vital.

Yes I'm rambling today. It's Monday.

--IceWolf-