Icons in Internet Explorer bookmarks

by "Bert Doorn" <bdoorn(at)iinet.net.au>

 Date:  Sat, 9 Oct 1999 19:03:36 +0800
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'day

I have replied to the list twice against the thread "how do they do this"
but my message has not appeared so
let's try again...

> I have recently noticed that when i create a shortcut to a website on my
> desktop(using Win98 IE5) it is not always the WinExplorer icon.
> Sometime the icon is a customized "look" relative to the site.

Yep..  You'll get that if you bookmark my (busines) site too.

> Is this an html trick i have yet to come across?

No, it's an Internet Explorer 5 (IE5) trick.

> How do they do this?

I'll let you in on the secret.  When you bookmark a site with IE5, it looks
for a file called "favicon.ico" and if it finds that file (and it is in a
suitable format), will load that image and use it for your shortcut.  Some
icons work, some don't.  Sorry, I can't quite remember what format they had
to be, but try 32x32 pixels in 256 colours, which worked for me.  The icon
file has to be in the same directory as the file that is bookmarked.

HTH
--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer
http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/